Monday, January 3, 2011

Pie pie pie PIE PIE pie PIE piE

The oven in Dinohouse gets a lot of love

Sometimes I bake pies! Sometimes my roommates sing crazy loud metal songs about pie at 7am. Please forgive the horrible photos, my decent camera is currently on loan to a bicycle shop.



So, my mom gave me a million bags of cookies after Christmas.  Including about a thousand or so gingerbread people.  After eating all the other cookies these lonely little cripples were left. So I put them out of their misery and crunched them up.


I bought some pie filling on a whim last time I was at the store, and we have some random canned goods here and there. I found a can of condesnsed milk, I had no idea it was supposed to look like that. Gross.



Shit. I only have one egg. I even checked all my roommates food shelves. There is only ONE EGG in the entire house.  I hope it works!


I tried to cool the crumbly crust by putting it in the freezer after pre-baking. Patience isn't my strong suit.

Before and after! The crust did something weird. It didn't stay together at all.  Perhaps someone has a tip on getting cookie crusts to stay a little more cohesive?  Mine was just a buttery mess of crumbs.


It is completely edible! Good even! I like the gingery crust.  This is a somewhat success. There are still some cookie crumbs left over, and I think they might make good cheesecake tarts. If you have a cookie crust recipe, I'd love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. I use this one with graham crackers, bet it would work with other cookie crumbs

    Graham Cracker Pie Crust

    1 3/4 cups graham crumbs

    3 tbsp sugar

    1/3 cup melted butter

    1. Preheat oven to 375F

    2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl

    3. Press into a pie plate (I've used it on 10" & 9")

    4. Bake for 15 minutes and then cool before using. I often start checking at ten minutes to make sure that the edges don't get burnt.

    ReplyDelete